I’ve had a pretty dysfunctional relationship with sleep my entire life. I’ll go through extreme bouts of insomnia about every three months. As a child I used to read with a flashlight, but parents caught on quickly. Then I’d stare at my popcorn ceiling and look for shapes. If you stare at something long enough something will come of it. Part two of my sleep dysfunction problem is nightmares. I would say this is way worse than staying up all night watching ‘insomniac music theater’ (a frequent habit in my middle school years). I think that because I sleep so lightly and some nights are more or less like fading in and out of consciousness I remember my dreams more than most. I have some pretty fucking awful dreams.
As a child I had one or two repeating dreams about my house burning down and my parents being trapped inside. In the past year I’ve dreamt nuclear holocaust, earthquakes that sink the
I don’t know if I need a sleep therapist or what, but I feel like my nightmares kind of ruin my whole day. I’ve felt weird and off all day today, but I don’t really believe in analyzing dreams.
Maybe my mind just needs an extended weekend, oh wait, I do have an extended weekend. sweet.
2 comments:
Extended weekend?? BAH!
Maybe just a little nip o' whiskey (or any other booze of choice) as a nightcap will help calm the brain? Not encouraging you to go to bed sloshed every night, but it could at least dull the activity long enough for you to fall deeper into your sleepy times. And although I'm one who can fall asleep after coffee at midnight (well, not always), watching your caffeine intake might help too.
Writing your dreams down or getting it out of your system in some manner before starting the day could help keep your nightmares from ruining your day - though this may be a bit difficult, seeing as your schedule's rather insane.
A couple o' things to try... Certainly cheaper than a sleep therapist, right?
Insomnia is the worst. I had it really bad as a kid too. I'd lay awake watching swirls of primary colored dots float around the room. I think my little rods and cones were picking up dust swirling through the dark...I stopped seeing them a bit ago.
But I hear you on the nightmares. I have recurring ones about tornadoes and nuclear holocausts...guess we all fear the big kaboom, yeah?
I think you just have to let go of some fear, and try to focus on the interesting parts. But that's easier to say when your dreams are as surreal as mine. They're rarely anything believeable.
Perhaps a dream therapist might help...could be interesting if nothing else.
Post a Comment