Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Weekend delights

So life has been in full swing. This weekend was pretty low-key, yet fulfilling. Friday evening Steve and I met up at the Stumbling Monk, which was ever so gym-sock smelling as per usual, with Tracy Lin, Elena and Daron. After perusing the selection of various board games that are tossed around this old man’s basement of a bar, we settled on Scatergories, which is probably my all time favorite game. This is a family favorite, because unlike Monopoly, this game didn’t lead to WWIII levels of family fighting. My second all time favorite game would be Apples to Apples, similar reasons. So after many rounds of scattergories, quite a few heavy Belgian beers, Elena making inappropriate suggestive selections, while my mind went for the four year old humor (yes, I put down “poop” for “something sticky”), we walked across the street to the B&O Café. After not being seated for quite some time, whilst staring at four open tables in the bar, we finally spoke up and said “You know, we’re all 21….” I am by far the youngest at 22, while the rest of the group is in the 24-25 range. Sad. After hours of desserts (best bread pudding in the city), we all stumbled home. Or, that is, Steve and I stumbled home and the rest of the gang drove back to the east side. Suckers!

Saturday was stunning. Pure blue sky, kinda chilly still, but I went for a walk without a coat. Went home, pulled down the shades and Watched Graveyard of the Fireflies, which of course, after watching, made it necessary for me to go outside and take another walk… Then after grabbing some Jai Thai take out, went back home to watch Thirteen on tv. Woah intensely depressing movie day. Overall it was pretty nice though. I went on a third walk, stopped off at Café Vita to do some reading, then walked through Cal Anderson Park (many puppies and bums running about). It was a good day, because it forced me to get back to that place where I enjoyed slow paced days spent alone. I took a quick stab a cleaning, but didn’t get too far.

Sunday morning went out to Dim Sum with Beth and Matt at Purple Dot in the ID. They had never been, so it was especially exciting. Steve usually has to cut me off, but this time Beth and Matt both wanted to try as many delightful little dishes as possible, hoorah! Various dumplings of the pork and shrimp variety were enjoyed by all. I really wanted to undo the top button on my jeans after that meal. We briefly walked around the ID in the same stunning sun/cool breeze weather that I had enjoyed the day before. After parting ways, Steve and I drove over to Fremont to visit Yako-monster at the music shop. We brought her some bbq pork humbao (is that how you spell it?) some calpico, and a little custard treat. After distracting her from various customers, making a rukus on the various keyboards and bizarre sound machines, we headed to Queen Anne to go see the Opera. Steve’s mom has been taking vocal lessons for quite some time now and went to go see Tosca the night before. She enjoyed it quite a bit and wanted us to check it out so she generously bought us tickets for Sunday’s matinee. I’d never been to the Opera (tending to be more of a ballet or symphony person), so I did feel a little underdressed in my jeans. I left my coat on the whole time because it was quite a bit more formal than what I had on underneath. Glad I wore heels. Steve of course ridiculed me for caring, but such is life as a girl. Aside from the Opera being really enjoyable (sadly, the tenor, who I thought was the strongest singer, had to be swapped out for the understudy half way through the show due to ‘upper respiratory issues’), I found it quite delightful to people watch. All the old ladies in their purples and feathers and shiny bejeweled handbags, several bean poll blonds wearing barely cooch covering dresses hanging off the arms of clearly rich men, then the tourist who look as underdressed as I do…. I’d gladly go again, I thought it was a pretty fun way to spend an afternoon.

We decided to thank Steve’s parents for the tickets by cooking them dinner. I just made sugar cookies for dessert, so while Steve cooked dinner Steve’s mom and I watched the Oscars. It was pretty fun because she just wanted to look at the dresses too…

Overall pretty delightful. A great way to cap off a super stressful work week. Next weekend it’s off to the cabin!

2 comments:

Super Milk-Chan said...

Tee...It's Grave, not Graveyard, of the Fireflies. Isn't that movie absolutely the most gut wrenching thing you've ever seen? I've rarely cried that much during a movie.

I've only been to B&O once, and while the desserts were absolutely decadent, the service was as bad as you describe or worse. I find that sort of unacceptable for a restaurant, and probably wouldn't go there again.

But DIMSUM WAS AWESOME. Holy cow, we're in love. Anytime you wanna go, let us know. Not only were the little dumplings super delicious, they were super affordable. And I like that you can share amongst the table or just grab a dish for yourself. Pretty sweet.

the dumpling princess said...

haha thanks, and yes, it was one of the most gut wrenching things I've ever seen. Although I didn't cry, my stomach kinda hurt from it. DIMSUM ANYTIME!