Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Sexy Sexy


So last night Steve and I finally rented and watched Lust, Caution- the Ang Lee movie which has the reputation of an NC17 rating for violence and lots of naked Tony Leung.

Highly recommended. Maybe not at the level of In The Mood For Love, which caused me to forever fall in love with Tony Leung, but it was so intense and lovely that I keep thinking of it all day at work. It also makes me want to go back and watch In the Mood for Love again because he is much younger and far less creepy :)

I felt that Ang Lee's lengthy use of subtly in this movie worked much more powerfully for me than his approach in Brokeback Mountain. It's still a fairly lengthy movie, but it moves much much faster. Also, very importantly, the chemistry between Tony Leung and Wai Tang is intense. INTENSE!

Aside from all of that, it really really made me want to do my hair up in pin curls and wear hats that slant over one side of my face. Wei Tang's wardrobe in this movie is absolutely delightful. Carefully detailed blue trench coats and black velvet hats, red lipstick, and many many skin tight silk mandarin collared dresses which oh so boobed white girl me could never ever wear. I wish I could pull something like that off.

Anywho, I try to make my 'movie reviews' fairly vague. Living with Steve has caused me to be overly sensitive to the fact that many people don't want to know anything about the plot of a movie before they see it. So, I guess what I can say is this movie is powerful, sad, beautiful to look at... And there is a ton of "doin it" as Steve would say.

1 comment:

Super Milk-Chan said...

I have to agree with the Steve...movies are so much neater when you have no idea what to expect. I mean, trailers seem to be pretty much necessary in order to sell box office tickets, but I only see really important and pressing stuff at the theater. My favorite is wandering the aisles of Blockbuster looking for a film, or even better, having a friend randomly toss one in the dvd player when I least expect it.
But your vagueness has not failed to entice me. I have trouble being in the mood for heavy movies, but I will keep an eye out for these at the movie store, purposely not read the back before renting, and go with it.