Wednesday, July 9, 2008

A good night




New Art (kinda blurly photo)



















Sitting here, drinking 2/3 of a bottle of wine. It's almost midnight on a Tuesday. Steve and I are watching the Arts Channel - Baryshnikov is jazz dancing to some 40's crooner - so smooth. Gazing out the window at a low orangy half-moon overlooking the blinking lights of the city and it's ever present cranes. Steve is now curled up in the window box with Inga. He has bought flowers with pea vines twirling through them. The mess of tonight's dinner (angel hair pasta with garlic, basil, tomato, chard and a squeeze of lemon, and of course some asiago cheese grated on top) is strewn about the coffee table. For once the kitchen is clean, but the floor still has my artwork and various scraps of magazines in piles (kitchen remodel ideas, artwork ideas, outfit ideas) all about - and cat hair- lots of cat hair. I'm not the cleanliest person you know. We've booked tickets to Minnesota, and have a lot of free time there - please send recommendations. Today was lovely. Got the painting Steve's mom bought framed. I wish I could frame all of my ladies with a limitless budget and good strong matting. We've developed a new bad habit- there is a beer store on Pike that we've recently discovered. About 300 different beers, sorted by region. Tonight of course I bought local wine :) I picked up some new pens and markers at Utrecht my fav art store on Pike and resumed my doodling for Miss Caroline's fashion 'look book/catalog' thing.


When I am mildly drunk I become effusive, so here it is:


Last night, after Caroline's Poetry Reading in Fremont we went to Big Time for a few beers. As Caroline was leaving she tipsily gushed to me (I'm approximating, I may have also had a few beers) "I have such amazingly creative friends, I just want form an artists' salon or something!" and though I think this all the time, I really felt a surge in satisfaction at this comment. I am truly amazed at the talent of the women in my life. I love how uncompetitive my ladies are in their love of art and am touched every time one of them wants to either buy my work or collaborate on a project. I admire all of them and instead of your regular run of the mill jealously I feel really proud whenever each of them performs or produces a truly beautiful piece.


Hahaha ok, I'm becoming my mother, sitting here with my glass of wine, falling in love with the world, strongly fearful of becoming too attached because of an overactive awareness of the fragility of it all. Oh, and just to make things that much more poignant, A Gershwin Piano duet is now playing, which also makes my think of my mother (who spent ages trying her hardest to play this piece, I'm not sure she'll ever reach that point, but it will never cease to remind me of her). Except, now there is a very 90's black and white performance of The Phantom Of The Opera on the arts channel and it is bringing out more scornful emotions ;)
I don't want to sleep tonight. I just want to finish this bottle, bother my cat, doodle a little and enjoy my Panda. This is a good antidote to a week and a half long bout of terrible dreams and a bad attitude.


4 comments:

Marie said...

i like posts like this. They make me want to read and write.

claire said...

i've been having a great time at the cabin by myself, but catching up on your blog makes me want to come back to the city and have a conversation where i don't play both people again! can't wait to see you and have a couple drink with you...but only if we can keep the tab to under $120 this time! glad everything is going well in seattle and keep up the posting...your writing is beautiful.

Super Milk-Chan said...

You are truly one of the loveliest people I know. I like when you're in this sort of slightly drunken-romantic state.
I adore your new drawing. You have captured Mr. Bulldog perfectly. He has so much character.
Also, I am very fond of umbrellas in general, as they remind me of rain, and rain is oh so soothing.

Françoise de Fleur said...

I'm glad there's someone else out there that watches the Classic Arts Showcase... Even if it is I that poisoned them with it.

I'm glad we got to hang out at the planet-turned-satellite table the other night. More Princess Beers for the Asians!

Your drunky-dreamy writing is indeed lovely.