Saturday, October 4, 2008

For the love of windy nights

I quite enjoy the wind. I sat inside nearly all day watching the one small tree outside my window flail about. The rain drops really make satisfying thuds on the front window when propelled by the wind. Once the rain had passed, I had really re-defined the meaning of lazy, having watched movies and tv all day and having not really moved from the couch with the exception of short jaunts to the kitchen eat more food (frozen soy chicken nuggets). At 4:30 I made the bold decision to leave the house. I went up to Broadway, bought two books from Bailey/Coy, got a delicious coffee at the new Vivace which is at the bottom of the new Brix development then headed to the Soap Box where I met up with Mark Gilzy. He's buds with the owner so we get free stuff all of the time. I was tempted into purchasing four bars of soap (actually 2 bars, since every sat is buy one get one free) my delights included 1 orange clove bar, 1 avocado clay bar, 1 salt water taffy peach bar, and 1 lemongrass bar. We chatted with a few other locals who had a rather well behaved and adorable brunette dachshund. People were remarkably friendly today on the Hill. Perhaps it's gentrification, or perhaps it's the fall, a friendly older gay couple and I chatted quite a bit at Vivace, and all of the patrons of the Soap Box (who all equally adore the owner Phil who is bursting with personality and seems to pride himself on knowing everyone's business) were particularly outgoing and friendly. Mark and I then walked over to Shinka Tea where I read my book while he worked and we both ate delicious chicken and mushroom hombao.

I am about to venture out into the night once more to get dinner and drinks with some folks. I'm not feeling entirely well (still have this damned chest cough), but I'm propelled by romantic notions of a lovely autumnal evening....

3 comments:

Super Milk-Chan said...

Yesterday was pretty delightfully windy. We walked the dogs to Petsmart for fun yesterday, and on the way home, a gust of wind actually knocked a piece of a street lamp the size and shape of a hubcap off into the street. After that, and being smacked in the face with several tree branches, we decided perhaps it would be safer to stay indoors.
I did venture out again to see a movie later, and by then it was especially crisp and nice out.

Your soap sounds tasty. I want to eat it.

Super Milk-Chan said...

Argh. Must edit comments before pressing submit. Talk about poorly constructed sentences.

Marie said...

You couldn't be more of a writer....

If my journal entries sounded anything like that I'd quit my day job.